This recipe makes 8 quarts and takes a while to make BUT it is well worth the time and effort. Give concentrate to your friends or hide it in beer growlers in your garage during the winter months. I won’t judge either way.
- 7.5 ounces black tea leaves
- 30 grams whole peppercorns
- 10 grams white peppercorns
- 50 grams whole cloves
- 80-90 grams fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 80 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 7 cups demerara sugar
- 200 grams honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Toast the peppercorns, cloves, cardamom pods, and cinnamon sticks.
- Bring 8 quarts of water to a boil. Turn off heat. Add black tea and let brew for 4 minutes. Strain tea leaves from liquid.
- Add spices and ginger to black tea, return to stove, and simmer for one hour. Strain spices and ginger.
- Add sugar, honey, and vanilla. Mix until dissolved.
- Cool and bottle.
- Serve 1:1 chai concentrate and milk of choice