Use butternut squash instead of store-bought pumpkin puree for an upgrade on a seasonal favorite!
Butternut Spice Loaf
- 2 cups soft wheat or spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 1/2 cups butternut flesh
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4cup raisins
- 3/4 cup walnuts chopped and toasted, plus 3 tablespoon walnuts, chopped and untoasted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×5 pan with oil.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices together.
- Blend the squash, apple sauce, oil, and maple syrup together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add the wet mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Add the toasted walnuts and raisins to the batter and fold until everything is evenly distributed. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and top with 3 tablespoons of the untoasted walnuts.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the loaf comes out clean.