The three products I will show you how to make, which cumulatively utilizes the whole sweet potato are:
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Brownies
- Sweet Potato Skin Chips
My favorite technique for cooking sweet potatoes is slow roasting. My recipe for this you can find here. Once you cook the sweet potatoes, you can utilize the following recipes to make sure you get something delicious from the skin and the flesh! (unless you just want to eat the sweet potato whole, which is delicious too)
Sweet Potato Pecan Casserole
- flesh of 8 sweet potatos
- 1 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 3/4 cups pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Add the sweet potato flesh, spices, and milk to a blender and blend until very creamy
- Spread the creamy sweet potatoes in a casserole dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized pan, over medium heat, add the olive oil, maples syrup and pecans. Cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes until the maple crystalizes around pecans. Stir frequently. The maple will become sticky right before it crystalizes around the pecans.
- Spread the pecans over the creamy sweet potatoes and bake the casserole for 30 minutes until warmed through.
Sweet Potato Brownies
- 3/4 cup apple sauce
- 3/4 cup salted peanut butter, divided
- 1/2 cup sweet potato
- 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- flake sea salt for topping brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Like a 9×5 inch pan with oil, and parchment paper.
- Blend apple sauce, 2/3 cup peanut butter, sweet potato flesh, and maple syrup.
- In a large pot, add the blended apple sauce mixture and dark chocolate. Heat until the chocolate is melted.
- To the pot, add the cocoa powder, almond flour, and baking soda. Mix until fully blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan (batter will be thick). Top with the remaining peanut butter and flake sea salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes until set.
Sweet Potato Skins
- 4 sweet potatoes skins from slow roasted potatoes
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the flesh from the sweet potatoes leaving a little flesh on the skins. Reserve the flesh for other recipes such as the sweet potato brownies or casserole.
- Coat the sweet potato skins in the oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes until crispy and golden.