Pickled ginger lasts for up to a year in the fridge, so you can make a large batch to eat with rice, sushi, or anything else you want. I use it in my homemade peanut sauce as a secret ingredient.
- 12 ounces ginger (about 2 large heads)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Peel the ginger with the back of the spoon.
- Cut the ginger extremely thin with a sharp knife or a mandolin
- Place the ginger in a bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Let sit for 10 minutes
- Bring a pot of water for a boil and add the ginger. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Strain the ginger, reserving the cooking liquid to drink(it is ginger tea!)
- In a large jar or container, add the. vinegars, water, and sugar. Mix until sugar is dissolved, and add the ginger.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 2 hours before eating. The pickled ginger will last for up to a year in the fridge.
Note: you can adjust the vinegar and sugar ratio to your liking. I prefer mine less sweet.